5 Outdoor Adventures for Mother’s Day
Guest post by Anne Keisman
What do moms truly want for Mother’s Day? Not chocolates. Not greeting cards. Not even flowers.
Moms crave time spent with family, unplugged from the routine—and most importantly, a break from being the family organizer.
And it’s no accident that Mother’s Day falls in early May, when Mother Nature is at her finest. So treat your mother to a day outside, and make sure she doesn’t have to plan anything!
(Moms—you might want to post this article on your kid’s Facebook wall. Nothing wrong with a subtle hint!)
Start the day by spending more time outside as a family. Then go on an outdoor adventure:
1. Breakfast…outside: Instead of bringing bagels and coffee to mom in bed (risking spills and crumbs in the sheets), why not plan a picnic? NWF’s NatureFind tool can help you find green spots nearby, if you want to venture further than your backyard. Try your hand at some of these nature-inspired recipes:
2. Go for a hike: Get some exercise and explore nature at the same time. NWF’s got some tips and tools to make it fun.
- Print out a Wildlife Observation Hike sheet, and keep track of the animals you see along the way.
- When you get home, share your wildlife sightings with NWF’s Wildlife Watch.
- Be nature detectives: go on a nature scavenger hunt.
3. Garden together: Instead of giving mom flowers that are sure to wilt in a few days, make an adventure out of planting a garden together. You can make your own seed-starting pot, grow some sunflowers, or create a butterfly garden.
4. Skip a stone, fly a kite, blow a grass whistle: Sometimes the best outdoor adventures are serendipitous, unplanned and unexpected. And they’ll remind mom of those old-timey outdoor pleasures.
5. Backyard camping: Even if it’s too early for an overnight campout, why not set up the tent in the backyard, roast some marshmallows, and tell ghost stories as the sun sets? Here are some tips for simple camping fun. And make sure you sign the family up for this year’s Great American Backyard Campout on June 26 and get more tips, recipes and camping inspiration.