Top 5 Ways to Celebrate Great Outdoors Month
from Wildlife PromiseIt’s an election year, and you know what that means: Republican and Democrats have a hard time agreeing on much of anything.
Thankfully, enjoying the Great Outdoors is an exception to that rule. Today is the start of Great Outdoors Month, as officially proclaimed by Republican and Democratic Governors alike.
With Great Outdoors Month underway, it’s time to think about how YOU plan to celebrate.
Here are my Top 5 Ways to Celebrate Great Outdoors Month!
- Take a hike! Tomorrow (June 2nd) is National Trails Day and there are thousands of events happening all over the country. In 2012, we are celebrating the 20th anniversary of this event hosted by the American Hiking Society.
- Saturday, June 9th, is National Get Outdoors Day with family-friendly events planned all across the country and supported by the U.S. Forest Service, the American Recreation Coalition and other partners.
- Find nature close to home using the NWF Nature Find tool. Just enter your zip code and find green spaces close to home and activities for the whole family. Or use the NWF Activity Finder to get ideas for outdoor fun in your own backyard.
- Join us for the Great American Backyard Campout on Satuday June 23rd. Join a community event or create your own and be sure to register your event online!
- Back to the election year stuff: Talk to your Members of Congress, Governors, State Legislators, Mayor, City Council, School Board and other elected officials about the importance of outdoor play and education for our children’s health and wellbeing. Email your Members of Congress and ask them to support the Healthy Kids Outdoors Act and the No Child Left Inside Act.
However YOU decide to celebrate Great Outdoors Month, please share it with us by posting a comment on this blog!