We have much more to do and your continued support is needed now more than ever.
Why Owls Are So Hoot Right Now – #Hoot2Give
Have you heard? OWLS are so HOOT right now! That’s why we’re in caHOOTS with craigconnects and craiglist’s Craig Newmark to celebrate these amazing creatures.
Each time you use the hashtag #Hoot2Give on Twitter, Craig will donate $1 to National Wildlife Federation (up to $5,000) to support our efforts to help owls and other wildlife.
So join us in having a bit of fun appreciating owls. Tweet your favorite photos or videos, share stories, articles or your best owl pun, and help honor owls this holiday season.
Craig tweeted his own kickoff to the fundraiser:
If you #hoot2give, I’ll give $1 to @nwf this holiday season: bit.ly/W0S0zg
— craignewmark (@craignewmark) December 13, 2012
Here are just a few fun owl photos and facts that are ready-made to tweet!
1. A snowy owl will attack any predators, including wolves, that threaten its ground nest.
2. Burrowing owls collect mammal waste to attract dung beetles, one of their favorite foods.
3. A Northern saw-whet is named for one of its calls that sounds like a saw being whetted.
4. Barred owls have a call that sounds like, “Who cooks for you? Who cooks for you allll?”
(Listen and watch one here>>)
5. Snowy owls have lots of names: ghost owls, tundra ghosts, Arctic owls and great white owls.
6. Barn owls will swallow their prey whole and locate their prey on sound alone.
7. Burrowing owls will sometimes use abandoned burrows of prairie dogs, armadillos, skunks or pocket gophers.
8. A group of owls is called a parliament.
9. Owls are silent fliers and nocturnal hunters making them very effective predators.
10. Great grey owls are very reclusive. Plunge marks in the snow are usually the only evidence for its presence.
By tweeting any of these facts you’ll be helping owls and wildlife in several ways! Know any additional facts we should share? Write them in the comments! Also, we’re on the lookout for great owl puns, so please share that with us as well!