Calling All Kids: Want to Spend a Week in the Great Outdoors?
from Wildlife Promise
Do you know a child who loves the outdoors and nature? Here’s a chance for him or her to spend a week-long outdoor adventure at the Family Nature Summit!
National Wildlife Federation, Family Summits, Inc. and the family of Craig Tufts announce the 2nd Annual Craig Tufts Educational Scholarship. Applications are due March 31, 2011.
Craig Tufts was the chief naturalist for NWF for more than 20 years. His devotion to getting children outside–learning from nature and having fun–was fundamental for him. In his memory, an essay contest was established to provide an opportunity for a child between the ages of 8-18 to have a week of nature adventures–canoeing, mountain biking, and other outdoor fun.
This year’s Family Nature Summit will take place in the Ozark Mountain Region of Missouri, August 1–7, 2011. For more information about the Summit, visit http://www.familysummits.org/2011summit.php.
Each year the Craig Tufts Educational Scholarship Fund grants an award to one young person to attend a Family Nature Summit. The Fund provides travel, room and board and program fees for the award winner and an accompanying parent or guardian.
Who May Apply: Anyone between the ages of 8 and 18
How to Apply: Applicant will submit an original essay that addresses the following:
- What are your favorite outdoor or nature-related activities?
- Describe a memorable outdoor or nature-related experience and the impact it had on you.
- What aspects of the Family Summit program are you most interested in and why?
- Describe why attending a week-long adventure camp would be important to you and how you would share your experience with others.
Each essay MUST be accompanied by a completed application form (downloadable at www.familysummits.org/craigtufts.php), be written by the applicant (not a parent or guardian), be no more than three pages, double-spaced (about 750 words) and be typed in a 12-point font or hand-written legibly.
- Nominations are due by March 31, 2011, by 5:00 p.m.
- Nominations may be
- emailed to Tuftsaward@nwf.org
- faxed to 703-438-6468
- mailed to Craig Tufts Educational Award Nominations, 11100 Wildlife Center Drive, Reston, VA 20190 (All mailed nominations must be postmarked by March 31, 2011, for consideration.)
Encourage the budding naturalists and outdoor adventurers in your life by sharing this opportunity. And share with us, in the comments below, your favorite childhood outdoor memory!