Ways You and the Kids Can Celebrate Shark Week
from Wildlife Promise
We wanted to take a few moments to honor the stars of Shark Week, the amazing creatures that play vital roles within their ecosystem. You may fear them, but we need to be a lot more afraid of losing sharks altogether. Currently, we kill around 100 million sharks a year. I’m thinking there needs to be a human week!
This week is meant to celebrate these creatures, and we have some fun ideas to get you started. We’d love to hear the fun ways you celebrate.
For the Kids or the Young at Heart
- Read the Ranger Rick magazine article that highlights the diversity of shark species that inhabit our waters.
- Play the Name that Shark Game! Warning: it’s more challenging than you’d think.
- Adopt a great white shark or leopard shark. It’s a fun way to conquer the fear of sharks & introduce them in stuffed animal form.
Take a Deep Dive into Shark Week
- Learn about how sharks still remain one of the ocean’s greatest mysteries and how scientists are continuing their research.
- Check out the National Aquarium’s Shark Cam and learn more about the species you observe.
- Shark Week Photo Frenzy: take a look at amazing pics of sharks from the National Wildlife Photo Contest.
And for the Internet Savvy…
- Shark Week Live: our live co-viewing experience available on the Discovery Channel App for iPad.
- Ultimate Sharks: Discovery’s new, deep-dive iPad app all about sharks.
- Try the Global Shark Tracker, which allows you to follow the movements of sharks in realtime.
- Follow #SharkWeek on Facebook and Twitter.
I hope everyone has a nice week and learns a thing or two about the magnificent sharks!