Ways You and the Kids Can Celebrate Shark Week
from Wildlife Promise
With Shark Week starting on July 31st this year, we wanted to take a few moments to honor these amazing creatures that play vital roles within their ecosystem. You may fear them, but we need to be a lot more afraid of losing sharks altogether. Currently we kill around 100 million sharks a year. I’m thinking there needs to be a human week!
This week is meant to celebrate these creatures, and we have some fun ways you and the kids in your life can learn about sharks!
Ways to celebrate sharks for the kids or the young at heart!
- Read the Ranger Rick magazine article that highlights the importance of saving sharks, and also discusses some of the incredible shark species that inhabit our waters.
- Play the Name that Shark Game! (warning: more challenging than you’d think!)
- Adopt a Great White Shark – a fun way to master fear of sharks introduce them in stuffed animal form.
Want to take a deep dive into Shark Week?
- Learn about how sharks still remain one of the ocean’s greatest mysteries and how scientists are continuing their research
- Check out Georgia Aquarium’s Shark Cam
- Shark Week Photo Frenzy: upload pics of how you celebrate Shark Week
And for the Internet Savvy…
- Shark Week Live: our live co-viewing experience available on the Discovery Channel App for iPad, on iPhone and at SharkWeek.com
- Ultimate Sharks: Discovery’s new, deep-dive iPad app all about sharks
- Follow SharkWeek.com and on Facebook and Twitter.
I hope everyone has a nice week and learns a thing or two about the magnificent sharks!