We have much more to do and your continued support is needed now more than ever.
Tired of Arguing With Climate Change Skeptics? Describe the Company You Keep!
If you have ever become exhausted trying to convince a self-professed climate change “skeptic” that global warming is real, then you know how little the true science seems to matter in such discussions. Regardless of what scientific information or experts you cite, you run up against a deep intransigence.
Skeptics will sometimes make it personal, asserting that you have simply allowed yourself to be hoodwinked by the likes of disingenuous academics, agenda-driven scientists or biased politicians.
But are you really so gullible?
If so, who else is in this “duped” category? Before you walk away from a frustrating discussion with the skeptic, tell them about a few other “gullible” people and organizations who have no doubt that global warming is real and is a serious danger to the United States and its people:
- Start with the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and the entire U.S. Military – Admiral Michael Mullen and the rest of Pentagon–Army, Air Force, Navy and Marines–officially consider climate change a grave threat to national security. Moreover, a distinguished group of 33 retired U.S. military generals and admirals have united to alert the public that “climate change is making the world a more dangerous place.” The military sees climate change as real, caused by human activity and, over the next 30-40 years, becoming a leading cause of war as many unstable nations will collapse through food and water shortages, violent storm disruptions, flooding and more.
- Mention the commitment of an overwhelming majority of the world’s Corporate CEO’s – When Price Waterhouse Coopers interviewed 1,150 corporate CEO’s worldwide in 2008 and 2010 they found that 61% of them were preparing to tackle climate change in their business plans and 73% believed that businesses must collaborate more effectively with industry peers and business partners to mitigate its effects.
- Don’t forget the public statements of The Christian Coalition – The Coalition’s recent environmental platform states “the time is right for Christian Coalition supporters and allies to step forward to promote environmental and energy independence initiatives. Taking responsibility to care for God’s creation and protecting the future of our children and grandchildren is a core family value. Further delays in action will impact our national security, our economic security, and our family security.”
- There are also those “pushovers,” America’s hunters and anglers – considered, by any measure, to be independent-minded and politically conservative, these people spend much of their time outdoors and routinely see the obvious: that climate is changing the natural world, the arrival and departure of the seasons, and the timing and movement of wildlife migrations. A National Wildlife Federation poll found that 66 percent of hunters and anglers believed that global warming was already occurring.
- And always remember the highly “gullible” U.S. Central Intelligence Agency – The CIA recently launched its new Center on Climate Change and National Security as the focal point for its critical work on the subject. The Center led by senior specialists from the Agency’s Directorate of Intelligence and the Directorate of Science and Technology.
After going through the list, simply ask the skeptic how it is so many serious businesses, military and conservative leaders could have let themselves be fooled. The answer is pretty obvious.