We have much more to do and your continued support is needed now more than ever.
Easy Camping Recipes
Quick Campfire Meals
The kids can make these:
- Heat pre-cooked hot dogs on a skewer, then slip them into a bun and top with condiments.
- Place a griddle or freestanding grill over the fire and cook up some pre-made burgers, pre-marinated steaks, or chicken breasts.
- Shish kebabs: Chop red and green peppers, use whole cherry tomatoes, pearl onions, and mushrooms. Alternate on skewer with shrimp or 1-inch chunks of beef, chicken, pineapple, or firm tofu. Cook in fire for fifteen to twenty minutes.
Comfort Foods in Foil
- On a piece of foil place a hamburger patty, potatoes, carrots, onions, salt, pepper, and a dollop of butter.
- Fold foil around turtle, and cook in the coals for twenty minutes.
- Wrap corn on the cob in foil; put on the grill or in the coals of a fire. Do the same for baked potatoes.
- If you get lucky with the fishing pole, wrap the fillets in foil with halved cherry tomatoes, half a lemon, and pinch of garlic salt. Seal and place in coals ten to fifteen minutes.
- Fold foil securely so juices don’t run out.
- Pour a thin layer of seasoned spaghetti sauce into the bottom of a Dutch oven and add a little water.
- Cover with a layer of lasagna noodles. Spread a layer of ricotta or cottage cheese and chopped spinach, then a layer of sauce and a layer of noodles. Repeat until you run out.
- Cover top layer of noodles with sauce, mozzarella, and parmesan cheese. Cover with lid and bake thirty minutes.
- Optional: Add pepperoni or ground beef to the layers.
Make It Easy
Outdoor baking hints:
- A wine bottle improvises for a rolling pin.
- Place smaller nonstick bread or cake pans inside the Dutch oven.
- Place lots of hot coals on top of the oven; you want to get more heat coming from the top than the bottom so it doesn’t burn.
- Timing: If you keep it hot and surrounded by coals, it should take about the same time as your home oven.
From the book Knack Car Camping for Everyone by Bill Burnham
Copyright © 2009 by Morris Book Publishing, LLC
Used by permission of FalconGuides, www.falcon.com