Lemurs: Big-eyed Wonders Threatened with Extinction
Tomorrow, the movie Island of Lemurs: Madagascar will open in IMAX 3D theaters. This is probably your best opportunity to see lemurs up-close, because the only place on Earth they live is Madagascar. Without giving away the movie, here are a few things you’ll learn more about in the film.
- Young lemurs ride around on the backs of their parents.
- Females rule. They lead the group in decisions, and enjoy first choice of food.
- Just over 100 total species: 20 listed as vulnerable, 49 endangered and 24 critically endangered. In other words, about 94% of lemurs are threatened by extinction.
- They dance.
- Over 90% of Madagascar’s original vegetation has been lost. This poses a major threat to critical lemur habitat.
- At night, they cuddle together and sleep in a cozy lemur fluff pile.